What happens in the courthouse...

Unless explicitly noted otherwise, this blog represents my own opinions, not those of any organization (like the Kittitas County Democratic Party) that I might be involved with.

Feel free to join the conversation: welcome aboard!

Monday, June 7, 2010

Collecting signatures -- and $$

In case you'd like to try it sometime, the way it works if you want get your name on a ballot is you either turn in money equivalent to 1% of the annual salary for the position, or an equal number of signatures of voters registered in the district covered by the position.

I decided to go with the signatures, if at all possible, for at least one obvious reason: the number of dollars is over 600, which seems like a lot of money. Besides, collecting signatures gives me a chance to face my natural hangups about knocking on stranger's doors. And there's something to be said for working for something, instead of just having it handed to you. I'm old-fashioned that way.

I got a good start last week. On my first day I collected 80 signatures, and only one dog bite. The bite is almost healed, but I'm not sure if I'll make it to the magic number of signatures (it works out to about 15% of the voters in District 3). Still, it's fun and worthwhile to meet people and ask them about things that are important to them.

A number of people have asked me where to send money, which I really appreciate. Here's the address:

Verhey for Commissioner
POB 1043
Ellensburg, WA 98926-1043

No comments:

Post a Comment